Imagine a trip that illuminates both injustice and hope.
Are you interested in justice issues like human trafficking or labor exploitation? Have you ever wanted to see first-hand what life is like for the people who make brand-name clothes? And how lives are changed when ethical production employment is an option? Would you like to travel with a small group that is both learning about the issues as well as talking about solutions?
If so, Imagine Trips might be just the thing for you. We’ve been taking trips to Cambodia for ten years now, and we love to show others some of the things we’ve learned. Be prepared to talk, learn, grow, and be inspired. (And also to have a great travel adventure while we’re at it!)
- Learn about the underside of the standard garment industry
- See how Imagine Goods’ ethical production supports empowerment
- Explore how extreme poverty interacts with justice issues (labor exploitation, land rights, human trafficking, etc.)
- Hear how war and violence contribute to poverty and injustice
- See the hope and opportunity that empowerment can provide
$2,100-2,500 (depending on the cost of flights; see below for details)
Phnom Penh & Siem Reap, Cambodia
No more than 10
All adults welcome; ages 16-18 with parental consent; ages 14-15 if traveling with a parent or guardian
I’ve never traveled overseas before. Is this a good trip for me?
Absolutely. You’ll be part of a small group that sticks together most of the time. When there’s time for people to split off (like when we’re exploring a market, for instance), you could choose to stay with the leader if you want. So don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.
I've traveled a lot. Is this a good trip for me?
Absolutely. Whether you've traveled with groups or by yourself, this trip will surely be a bit different than any you've done before. This isn't about "doing something" while we're there, nor simply sightseeing. (Although we do see some beautiful sights, and we hope that you'll be inspired to live differently once you return home.) Imagine Trips are about looking a little bit deeper beneath what the average tourist might see, and taking time to learn how the justice issues "over there" intersect with your life at home.
Is Cambodia a safe place to travel?
Yes. There is very little crime against tourists, and with a little common sense (that the group leaders will be sure to explain thoroughly), you’ll be right as rain. (In over 40 combined trips to Cambodia, neither we nor anyone in our groups have ever been a victim of a crime.)
What about food safety?
Not to worry—we are very careful about the restaurants that we eat in, and we have some great places to eat on the itinerary. (Our philosophy is that if we’re only there for a few days, we don’t want anyone lying in bed for any of that time!)
What kind of hotels will we stay in?
We’ll stay in comfortable inns and hotels that we’re familiar with. They’ll have all the basic amenities you’re used to.
My teenager wants to go on this trip. Will it be too intense for them?
We think that allowing teenagers to be exposed to global poverty and justice issues is a really good idea. Although there are some aspects of the justice issues that we talk about that can be difficult to process (like child trafficking), we will certainly be sensitive in how we discuss if there are younger teens on the trip. We also do a lot of talking about everything that we see, since adults need to process emotions about those difficult issues too!
Can you lead a custom trip just for our group?
Sure! We've led many different kinds of trips, and have experience in organizing bespoke trips for groups that want to learn but don't know where to start. Shoot us an email and we can chat about it. Trips@ImagineGoods.com
- $900 for Ground Fees (covers the cost of everything once you land in Cambodia—food, hotels, travel, entry fees, etc.) This is sent to us in two installations:
- $200 deposit to reserve your spot should be sent along with your application (this is non-refundable once you’re accepted; if we don’t have a place on the trip or cannot accept you for another reason, we’ll refund this money)
- $700 remaining for ground fees due by May 1, 2017
- Note that this amount is for trip participants sharing rooms (usually 2 to a room, occasionally 3 in a room). If you require your own hotel room, the cost will be $250 more.
$25 additional for a background check should be sent with the application (unless you already have a background check that has been completed within the last year and can have it sent to us directly from your employer or background search company)
Airfare could be between $1,200 & $1,600, depending on your location and time of purchase. You are responsible to buy your own airfare ticket after we’ve accepted your application (if you want us to buy the airfare ticket for you, we charge a $75 travel fee and you must have all the money to us by April 15 at the latest). Once you are confirmed as accepted for the trip, we will send details about flight arrangements.
Travel insurance (which includes medical and evacuation insurance) must be bought along with your ticket (usually between $80-150).
You will need to consult with your doctor or a travel clinic for immunizations. We require proof of immunizations or a signed waiver form. Usually recommended are: routine vaccinations, Hepatitis A, Typhoid, and Malaria, but we defer to your doctor/travel clinic to give up-to-the-minute recommendations. (This usually costs $100-200.)
Please send us an email with the following details to Trips@ImagineGoods.com:
- Passport Info, including passport number, date of issue, date of expiration and place of issue (expiration date cannot be sooner than 6 months after the end of the trip)
- How you heard about Imagine Goods/Imagine Trips
- Why you want to go on an Imagine Trip
- Any previous travel experience
- Any known medical concerns/medications
- Any known allergies
- 2 references (non-family). Please include name, email, and phone numbers for these references; we’ll contact them and talk about you behind your back (just kidding!) We know we’ll love you—we just have to be sure that everyone who comes with us will be able to handle the sometimes-intense nature of seeing justice issues up close.
Have any questions? Email us at Trips@ImagineGoods.com, and we’ll be in touch.